MARK MOSES COACHES 30 OF THE WORLD’S TOP ENTREPRENEURS AND CEOs and kicks their butt to increase profitability and accelerate growth. As a successful entrepreneur himself, Mark discusses the 5 things every entrepreneur and CEO should focus on and delves into the world of singularity and exponential organizations.
Listen to the Full Episode
- Started his first company at age 19 and has successfully built and sold two companies.
- Won Ernst & Young’s Entrepreneur of the Year award and the Blue Chip Enterprise award for overcoming adversity.
- His last company ranked #1 Fastest-Growing Company in Los Angeles as well as #10 on the Inc. 500 of fastest growing private companies in the U.S.
- Completed 12 full distance Ironman Triathlons including the Hawaii Ironman 5 times.
- 1992 U.S. National Championship Squash Champion.
- How do you get 250% year over year profitability growth? Mark shares the framework he uses with his clients to drill down and make explosive growth like this happen.
- Ask yourself, “What are the daily, weekly, and monthly activities that I as the leader need to do, and can hold myself accountable to do, that will lead to achieving our wildly important goals for the year?”
- Mark shares a couple gut-wrenching examples of tough staffing decisions that almost all entrepreneurs eventually have to make. He says, “You have to put the right people in the right jobs that will enable the company to go where it wants to go and they need to be a cultural fit.” And often times, the people who got you to where you are today aren’t the same ones to take you where you want to go.
- How do you assess candidates for top jobs in your company? Mark goes into great detail on the assessment he uses and the specific questions he asks candidates that they can’t fake their way through.
- Click here to download my detailed notes on the 5 top things CEOs should focus on and listen to the podcast for more color.
- Mark shares the most common thing that motivates entrepreneurs to succeed at the highest level. Ask yourself if you have it too.
- The most successful entrepreneurs view what they do as “something they get to do versus something they got to do.”
- If you’re thinking about working with a coach, Mark shares in great detail how the coaching process works, what types of questions he asks his clients, and how he holds them accountable for achieving results.
- What makes a great coach effective? They hold their clients accountable. They help clients figure out, strategically, what they want to build. They ask, are you thinking big enough to get what you want? What will it take to get there? What’s your plan to get there? How are you going to hold yourself accountable to that plan? What’s going to get in the way of making that plan happen? How will you overcome what’s standing in the way of making that plan happen?
- Here’s a simple exercise you can download for free from Mark to help you define your goals for the year ahead. He calls it The Crystal Ball Exercise.
- Mark attended Singularity University and said “it blew my mind.” It was by far the most provocative event he’s ever attended. We discuss some of the key things he learned from the week long mind bender.
- “Disruption will happen in every industry at a faster and faster rate than ever before.” Mark shares key things you can do to put your business in a position to be a disruptor instead of being disrupted.
- A good question that came out of Singularity University, “What is the area of your business where you should be going 10 times bigger rather than going 10% bigger?” Look in the mirror, are you an incremental thinker or an exponential thinker?
- How can you build an “exponential organization?” Mark describes what exponential companies are and how you can build one.
Resources & Other Links
- Exponential Organizations (book)
- Abundance (book)
- Uncommon Service (book)
- Great by Choice (book)
- Notes from a week at Singularity University (articles)
- The assessment Mark uses (interviewing/hiring tool)
What happens Between Now and Success…is Action, so turn you knowing into doing and get results.
Latest posts by Steve Sanduski, CFP® (see all)
- Schwab Top Advisor Panel: What Decades of Experience Can Tell Us About Thriving in the Future - November 27, 2017
- Would You Want “10 of That Type of Person on Staff?” - July 26, 2017
- How to use “systems thinking” to become an elite advisor - January 23, 2017