Can you get a true understanding of a client’s risk tolerance and place them in a portfolio with the appropriate portfolio risk by asking a few simple subjective questions? Robo Advisors Betterment (see my interview with Betterment founder Jon Stein) and Wealthfront believe they can but today’s guest, Aaron Klein, co-founder of Riskalyze, believes those firms have it all wrong.
Aaron’s firm tackles the risk tolerance and portfolio risk challenge from a different angle by utilizing concepts borrowed from Prospect Theory. Prospect Theory was developed by Daniel Kahneman and Amos Tversky and essentially says, “People value gains and losses differently and, as such, will base decisions on perceived gains rather than perceived losses. Thus, if a person were given two equal choices, one expressed in terms of possible gains and the other in possible losses, people would choose the former.” Source.
(Want to read the full Transcript of my conversation with Aaron? See below.)
We had a fascinating discussion about how investors deal with portfolio risk and we capped it off with some thoughts about the future of the financial advice business. Aaron has strong opinions and he has the smarts to back them up. Don’t miss this episode with Aaron Klein of Riskalyze.
Listen to the Full Episode
Download the Transcript
Aaron Klein on Riskalyze…
Our mission is aligning the worlds investments to fit each investor’s risk number. We really believe that every investor has this risk number, and if they can invest in alignment with how much risk they personally can handle, that allows them to be a fearless investor. A fearless investor is a way better client for an advisor. That’s really the principle that our company was founded on.
- Grow Your Business Now!: A special report on 52 strategies, tips and tools to Grow Your Business Now! This is a tremendous resource guide.
- 5 New Ways to Grow Faster Podcast: This is a 40-minute recording of me being interviewed about 5 new ways to grow your business faster.
- How to Launch Your Own Content Marketing Program: This valuable ebook shows you exactly how to design and launch a content marketing program that gets your message out to your target audience and generates high-quality leads.
Please share this page and the podcast with your friends and colleagues via Linkedin, Twitter and Facebook. You can use the share buttons. Thanks!
Got a question? Email it to me and I’ll give you my take on it.
Latest posts by Steve Sanduski, CFP® (see all)
- How to use “systems thinking” to become an elite advisor - January 23, 2017
- 15 non-obvious trends that will give you an unfair advantage - January 13, 2017
- My 3 words for 2017 - January 1, 2017